We have been asking our clients what their BIGGEST struggle with losing weight or getting healthy is, and they all seem to say the same thing: MEAL PLANNING! We get it! I would say we both agree it’s our weak spot as well, but over the years we have developed a system and some helpful tips that keep us in line 😉 Last week we did an entire LIVE episode of ‘Real Talk’ on this very subject: Top 5 EASY Meal Prep & Meal Planning Tips
Watch the episode on Facebook HERE
(which is honestly the best way to watch it, as you can see all the LIVE comments and live questions we answered as we went along! If you don’t have FB, you can catch it on YouTube as well)
If you aren’t into watching our kickass show, here is a basic outline of what we covered for our:
Top 5 EASY Meal Prep & Meal Planning Tips
Meal Prep Tip #5 – Have other people do the work for you
Not everything in meal planning and prep has to be done by yourself in order to be healthy and cheap. We have found some short cuts that don’t cost us really anything extra and that also shave some time off our weekly prep schedule.
- Buy PRE cut veggies. Our grocery store has EVERYTHING pre cut! (even onions!) and to be honest, they run about 0.20 cents more than just buying the full veggie ourselves. This has been a life saver for us!
- Bagged foods that aren’t brutal. Like unsalted nuts! They are already portioned out for you and ready to go.
- Food that doesn’t require cutting/cooking. Save time by incorporating foods like bananas or apples that can go anywhere and don’t need prep.
- MEAL REPLACEMENT! This one is HUGE. We don’t ever want to sound like an infomercial, but we DO repeat what works for us. We have the same meal replacement EVERYDAY that replaces either breakfast or lunch, Shakeology. That stuff is WAY more healthy than anything I could cook and if I had to buy ingredients for it all I would spend a zillion dollars. It shaves 1/3 of the time and money off our grocery bill, we can take it when we travel, and is crazy good for us. Win/win!
- I also LOVE eat QUEST bars when I am short on time and need protein!
Meal Prep Tip #4 – Small EASY Plans = HUGE Success!
Do you ever find yourself saying “What do you want for dinner!?” and everyone just kind of sits there and doesn’t answer and you waste an hour looking around the kitchen trying to figure something out? We used to as well until we figure out a way that we could plan easily, save it for later and do the grocery list/meal plan all in ONE SHOT!
- I made this GROCERY LIST that is organized by MEAL and by what you need to buy for those meals!
- Print out a few and SAVE them for future use so you have an entire week of meals already pre-planned when you are short on time
- Download/Save/Print this list below:
Meal Prep Tip #3- Find and Use your Pockets of Time
Most people don’t meal plan or prep because they think they don’t have time. We all HAVE the time, sometimes it’s just a little hidden.
- When you come home from the grocery store, instead of putting everything into the fridge/cupboards…. use this time instead to WASH, cut and get everything into containers you can see into and out of it’s packaging. It takes about 10 or 15 extra minutes, but you are already carving out the shopping time.
- Multitask while you cook up food for the week! Have friends over and catch up with some wine, have a mini cooking party, get your laundry done, use this time to allow yourself an hour or so of mindless TV, get the kids to help, do some micro workouts while cooking, etc! The couch is SUCH a time suck when you could be getting your week set up.
Meal Prep Tip #2 – Embrace Leftovers
Leftovers are the perfect example of putting in the effort once and reaping the rewards twice.
- When you take the time to cook a meal, always cook for double the people you are serving.
- Anticipate leftovers when using our Grocery List above
- FREEZE EVERYTHING! Trevor and I freeze SO much food into freezer bags with labels.
Meal Prep Tip #1 – Know Whats Possible
This one was the hardest for me to accept at first. Every time I wanted to start a new fitness program, cleanse, or meal plan I would get a little crazy. I would start looking at recipes and foods I had no idea how to cook, where to buy, etc and it got super overwhelming!
- It’s too hard to try and meal prep for crazy exotic stuff that you are not used to. Keep it as simple as you can.
- Know your favorite healthy staples that will keep well in the freezer and fridge
- Our fav staples? Salad with protein, zoodles, rice, quinoa, steamed veggies, turkey chili, Trevor’s famous Power Turkey Meatloaf, oats, nuts, fruits/veggies.
- Tupperware and ‘to-go’ containers are your friends. Load up on that shizzzz!
Mason Jar Salad Meal Prep
Because who doesn’t love darling and trendy meal prep that tastes good! In our Meal Prep Video I did a demo of how freaking FAST it is to make one of these babies, then I promptly devoured it immediately after we were done broadcasting 😉 Two birds, one stone!
What’s in my Mason Jar Salad: Organic peppercorn ranch dressing, red peppers, green peppers, red onion, mushrooms, pulled chicken, cheese, green leaf lettuce!
How to make a Mason Jar Salad: Put all the heavy and watery things at the bottom (like dressings and fruits), then the wet veggies, dry veggies, protein, and lettuce on TOP! This way, the lettuce doesn’t get soggy. When you are ready to eat, just dump it into a bowl and half the mixing has already been done for you. They keep in the fridge for a few days and they are super easy to see through the glass jar if you have multiple recipes stored at once!
There you have it! Tune into our LIVE show ‘Real Talk’ on our Facebook Page every Tuesday at 6:00pm PST where we cover meal planning, mindset, fitness, body image, excuses and other health and wellness topics!
Are you going to use any of these tips? Do you have any Meal Prep secrets you want to share??